Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

If you are suffering from painful intercourse, you are not alone. This common complaint affects many women at some point in their lives, but help is available. Talk to your gynecologist if intercourse is painful for you to get the help you need.

Doctor writing notes while a patient speaks

Your gynecologist will ask you questions about your symptoms and when during intercourse you feel pain to narrow down the potential causes. A wide range of conditions can cause intercourse to be painful, including vaginal infections, insufficient lubrication, injuries, and STDs. Your gynecologist may recommend STD testing and treatment, treatment for vaginal infections, hormonal therapies, and a number of other solutions to make intercourse more comfortable. Emotional factors can also contribute to painful intercourse, and these can be managed with therapy and medications.

Visit a gynecologist at Washington Surgi-Clinic if painful intercourse is affecting your relationships. Find out more about our women’s health services, including STD testing in Washington, D.C. , by calling (202) 659-9403.